- MOMENTUM: Forecast the Facts' ad calling on the Tribune Company to not sell their newspapers to the climate-denialist Koch brothers was covered by The New York Times, The Huffington Post, and Chicago Business Journal. The more money we fundraise, the more ads we can publish to take our message straight to Tribune-owned newspapers. Donate to tell the Tribune Company directly that you want independent, unbiased journalism—not right-wing spin.
- MONDAY DEADLINE: The New Mexico Board of Regents is selecting the next president of New Mexico State University. One of the top candidates is Garrey Carruthers, a former governor and climate-change denier who ran a tobacco-industry front group for years. Join Forecast the Facts in telling the Board of Regents: don't hire a climate change denier to run New Mexico State!
- Forecast the Facts is working with our coalition partners to run ads in Tribune-owned papers featuring the names of subscribers and readers who have pledged to find other news sources if the Tribune sells to the Kochs brothers. The more money we fundraise, the more ads we can publish. Donate to tell the Tribune Company directly that you want independent, unbiased journalism—not right-wing spin.
- After 46 years of groundbreaking research, landmark congressional testimony, and bold public statements, Dr. James Hansen has announced he will be retiring from NASA. Sign our card thanking Dr. Hansen for his courageous dedication to informing the public about the climate crisis.
- The petrochemical billionaire Koch brothers are reportedly considering buying the LA Times, Chicago Tribune, among other major media outlets. Sign our petition to tell the Tribune Company not to sell their assets to free-spending climate change deniers Charles and David Koch.
- Over 18,000 people have signed our petition urging Rep. Chris Stewart (R-UT) to work toward climate solutions. Constituents of Rep. Stewart visited a town hall and confronted Rep. Stewart on his recent statements denying climate change. Check out pictures from the event here .
- The State Department released its draft environmental impact statement for the Keystone XL pipeline on Friday, March 1st. Amazingly, the draft statement found that that the pipeline would be safe from the impacts of climate change--impacts it will surely exacerbate. Share this stunning finding here!
- After Superstorm Sandy survivors delivered our petition urging President Obama to outline a comprehensive plan on climate change in the State of the Union, Obama spoke about the climate crisis in his speech. But there is still more the president can do. Check out our scorecard here
- Yesterday, survivors of Superstorm Sandy went to the White House and delivered our petition urging President Obama to outline a comprehensive plan on climate change in tonight's State of the Union.
- The massive blizzard that swept through the northeast last weekend is another reminder of the way that climate change is tilting our weather toward extremes. Join our campaign urging Obama to use his upcoming State of the Union to shape his climate legacy with a detailed climate plan.
- After months of delay, the House of Representatives approved critical legislation to help the victims of Superstorm Sandy rebuild from the fossil-fueled disaster. See how your legislator voted here
- The House of Representatives is voting on critical legislation to help the victims of Superstorm Sandy rebuild from the fossil-fueled disaster. Click here to tell Congress to approve aid for Sandy victims immediately.
- Too many leaders in Washington are fixated on the manufactured crisis of the fiscal cliff, while ignoring the very real threat to our future: the climate crisis. Over 14,000 people have called on Congress to stop ignoring the climate cliff. Speak out at Climatecliff.org!
- Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) recently called out his climate change-denying colleagues for "crocodile tears" about the impact of debt on future generations, while ignoring the climate crisis. Watch Senator Whitehouse's floor speech here and tell Congress to stop ignoring the climate cliff!
- As thousands are still reeling from Hurricane Sandy, the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) has informed residents that they expect full rent payments--even though many were trapped for weeks in storm-damaged buildings. Join us and our friends at Color of Change in telling NYCHA Chairman John Rhea to grant immediate rent relief.
- In his first press conference since winning re-election, President Obama belatedly called for a "national conversation" about climate change. As politicians in Washington obsess over the manufactured crisis posed by the "fiscal cliff," Forecast the Facts implores our leadership to address a much larger threat to our national well-being: the climate cliff.
- Less than two months before sea level rise devastated New York City with more powerful storm surges, Governor Romney laughed at the very notion of rising seas. As Hurricane Sandy made clear, climate change is no joke. Check out our new ad, which reminds people that Mitt mocked climate impacts. The ad has gone viral and aired in battleground states
- As Hurricane Sandy, a climate-fueled "Frankenstorm," devastates the Atlantic coast mere days before the presidential election, it is vital that President Obama and Governor Romney end their climate silence, and acknowledge climate change's role in this horrific disaster. Speak out here.
- The entire series of presidential debates went by without a single mention of climate change- the first time that has happened since 1984. From local newspapers to the New York Times, media observers have taken note of the appalling climate silence in this election. Watch the shocking climate silence here.
- Forecast the Facts has joined with Friends of the Earth Action to launch Climate Silence , a campaign urging the presidential candidates to present their plans to address the climate crisis. The New York Times , San Francisco Chronicle , and many others are writing about Climate Silence.
- Responding to over 18,000 Forecast the Facts members, PBS ombudsman Michael Getler concludes that NewsHour "stumbled badly" with its recent climate change report! Click here to thank the Ombudsman for standing up for accurate climate coverage.
- PBS' science reporter has called their Monday climate segment a "horrible horrible thing" There's still time to join us in calling for PBS' ombudsman to investigate whether the piece met their journalistic standards.
- In response to heavy criticism for their program on Monday night featuring climate change denier Anthony Watts, PBS has issued a response defending the segment. Join us in calling for PBS' ombudsman to investigate whether the piece met their journalistic standards.
- On Monday night, PBS NewsHour gave an unchecked platform for Heartland Institute-funded Anthony Watts' half-truths and conspiracy theories. Join us in calling on the ombudsman to investigate the segment for violations of PBS' standards for accuracy, integrity, and transparency.
- We're heading to Boston for the AMS Annual Conference on Broadcast Meteorology. Read why this conference is so important here. And click here to tell your TV meteorologist to report accurate information about climate and weather.
- The US is facing one of the worst droughts in its history, but Agriculture Secretary Vilsack has said he doesn't want to "opine" about climate change's role. Tell Secretary Vilsack to acknowledge the connection between climate and drought.
- Catering to a group of real estate developers who deny climate change, North Carolina's General Assembly passed a four-year moratorium on the use of sea level rise projections in coastal planning.
- Over $1 million has been eliminated from the Heartland Institute's 2012 budget! Join over 150,000 people in demanding that corporations stop funding Heartland's radical climate change denial. Click here to see which corporate supporters have dropped--and help pressure the rest to withdraw!
- We are now calling on Pfizer and the entire health care industry to follow competitor Eli Lilly in withdrawing from the radical, climate change-denying Heartland Institute. Click here to see which corporate supporters have dropped and which remain--and help pressure the rest to withdraw!
- State Farm Insurance has announced they will no longer support the climate change-denying Heartland Institute! They are joined by other major insurers, including RenaissanceRe, ABIR, XL Group, and Allied World Assurance. Help us keep the pressure on, sign our petition here.
- Drink giant Diageo has announced it will cease funding the Heartland Institute! The Association of Bermuda Insurers and Reinsurers has also withdrawn support, calling their relationship with Heartland "untenable." Click here to keep the pressure on other Heartland supporters
- On Friday, the Heartland Institute funded billboards likening those concerned about global warming with serial killers. Heartland has since pulled the billboards down, but they said, "We do not apologize for running the ad." Click here to tell corporations: funding Heartland's extremism is unacceptable.
- On May 1st, we delivered over 10,000 petition signatures to Discovery, demanding that they recognize their error in censoring climate science out of their Frozen Planet finale, "On Thin Ice." Check out the Washington Post's coverage here, and pictures from the petition delivery here.
- Discovery Channel is clearly feeling the heat, because now they are changing their story. An executive told the L.A. Times that they did not censor climate science for fear of criticism from deniers. That's the exact opposite of what the series producer told the New York Times on Friday.
- The final episode of The Discovery Channel's "Frozen Planet" series deliberately avoided mentioning the science behind climate change. Tell the Discovery Channel: Self-Censorship is Unacceptable. Read more here.
- VICTORY!!! GM has responded to the call from 20,000 Forecast the Facts members and pulled their support from the Heartland Institute. We've created a video to thank GM. It features another happy Volt owner, thanking GM for doing the right thing. Check it out here.
- This is what happens when everyday people speak up: GM CEO Dan Akerson has now said he will review funding to Heartland. http://forecastthefacts.org/cwclub_flyer/
- More than 10,000 GM owners and 20,000 total people are calling on GM to drop Heartland. Check out their powerful comments here. Read press coverage of the campaign in the Huffington Post, at Grist.org , and in the Miami Herald
- Leaked documents recently revealed that the climate change-denying Heartland Institute receives funding from General Motors and other major corporations. Click here to tell GM: using taxpayer dollars to fund climate denial is wrong
- Check out media coverage of the campaign in Reuters, the Huffington Post, Houston Chronicle, and the New York Times
- While most agree that meteorologists shouldn't mislead the public, some have attacked our methods for addressing the problem. Here's our explanation of why we take the approach we do.
- We brought the voices of over 11,000 supporters to the American Meteorological Society's conference. The AMS Council received our petition, but delayed a vote on their climate change statement.
Tell Tribune Company: Stay Koch-Free!
Petrochemical billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch are vying to purchase the Tribune Company’s media assets, including the critically important Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, and the Spanish-language Hoy papers. The communities served by Tribune’s properties are key stakeholders in the decision. Sign the petition demanding Tribune Company CEO Peter Liguori reject offers from anti-science propagandists like the Koch brothers.Take Action +
THE HUFFINGTON POST
May 09, 2013
Koch Brothers' Ownership Of LA Times, Tribune Papers Met With Protests, Ads, State Leaders' Opposition
Unions and liberal advocacy groups are planning protests and running ads (see photo below) on the Los Angeles Times and New York Times websites starting Thursday, according to liberal groups ...
CHICAGO BUSINESS JOURNAL
May 09, 2013
Online ads urge Tribune to not sell to Koch
The Courage Campaign Institute and Forecast the Facts, two progressive West Coast-based political coalitions, launched a online ad campaign to dissuade the Chicago-based Tribune Co. from selling the Los Angeles ...
THE NEW YORK TIMES
May 08, 2013
An Effort to Thwart Sale of Papers to the Kochs
“The LAT has a long and storied past of publishers taking it in various directions,” Mr. Jacobs said in an e-mail. “The Kochs are much more likely to end journalism ...
- See More News
Weather caster watch
A recent study found that 27% of TV meteorologists call global warming a "scam," while over half deny that humans are the cause. Communities being devastated by increasingly severe weather deserve to know that there’s a culprit—a warming world and an increasingly unstable climate. This campaign aims to make sure that happens.
I’m joining the Forecast the Facts campaign to ensure Americans are told the truth about climate change.